Submission 1a: Descriptive Reflection (Formal Introductory Letter)

Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

I hope you are well. Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Nur Sabrina. I am currently a Year 1 student at the Singapore Institute of Technology pursuing further studies to accomplish a bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Design and Manufacturing Engineering. I have graduated from the Institute of Technical Education College East with a Higher NITEC in Mechanical Engineering and from Temasek Polytechnic with a Diploma in Mechatronics.

Due to exposure to the subject Design & Technology (D&T) in secondary school, I was given an opportunity to design my own product which is a bicycle holder for my ‘N’ Level coursework. In the process of production, I have developed skills in creative design and drawing software. I became interested in engineering in both conventional drawing and modeling methods as well as industry-standard CAD software such as SOLIDWORKS. This course helped me to develop originality and problem-solving abilities in addition to subject knowledge.

Though I was doing well in my course of study over the years, I have faced many challenges. I think I have the inability to adapt my communication style to different audiences during presentations and engagement talks. Speaking in front of a large audience causes me to panic and sound unclear. However, over time I learned to adopt and adapt to challenges which enhanced my teamwork and communication skills.

I hope to contribute my strengths such as leadership skills and enhance my learning experiences in your classes. This will also benefit me to better people's perspectives of me and adopt a skill in public speaking. With your generous help, I could be a great speaker one day. In this module, I hope to develop more effective communication skills that help boost my oral presentations at work and school. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Warmest regards,

Nur Sabrina

Comments

  1. The content is well written however it can be further improved by elaborating some of your points by adding an example, as for the organization it is clear and there is a proper flow, however there are some inconsistency in the fonts used. For the language wise it is clear however there seemed to be some minor grammar errors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi HengQuan,

      Thank you for the feedback. Will look into the grammar errors and make the fonts consistent.

      Regards,
      Sabrina

      Delete
  2. Content wise, she did a good job of showcasing her strengths and weaknesses. The ending of the letter really brings out what she hopes to achieve from the module. Like what HengQuan mentioned, there are some grammatical errors and the front sizes are not consistent. But otherwise, there isn't much to comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mavis,

      Thank you for the feedback. Will look into the grammar errors and make the fonts consistent.

      Regards,
      Sabrina

      Delete
  3. The letter has a good flow and the points are well-linked. The example given narrates her growth in interest in engineering clearly. The strengths in terms of communication could be elaborated further. Overall, she ended the letter in a positive light and the letter was kept simple and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah,

      Thank you for the valuable feedback.

      Regards,
      Sabrina

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sabrina

      Thank you for your letter. It has content and depth when it came to your vulnerability in public speaking. However, I would like to add to Mavis and Heng Quan that it would be great if you could apply the same depth and elaborate more on how you were able to develop originality and problem-solving abilities to enhance the content. Other than that, it looks great Sabrina. In all, the letter is clear and concise.

      Cheers,

      Muhammad 'Aqil

      Delete
    2. Hi 'Aqil,

      Thank you for the valuable feedback.

      Regards,
      Sabrina

      Delete
  5. Dear Sabrina,

    Thank you for this informative, well-organized and fluent letter. It's interesting for us readers when you share your background in terms of the various skills you have been developing and how your sec school project work inspired you to do engineering. I'm impressed when you explain how your course "helped you develop originality and problem-solving abilities."

    It's also clear from this post that while you have been able to "adapt to challenges," still speaking in public / presenting are areas that you want to improve. As we work on various subject areas during the module, I hope you take all the opprtunities given to do exactly that, and you may even consider taking on a leadership position within your project team.

    In the spirit of refining skills, I want to share a minor issue in terms of language:
    punctuation/verb tense
    -- I was given an opportunity to design my own product which is a bicycle holder for my ‘N’ Level coursework. >
    I was given an opportunity to design my own product, which was a bicycle holder for my ‘N’ Level coursework.
    -- ... I learned to adopt and adapt to challenges which enhanced my teamwork and communication skills. > I learned to adopt and adapt to challenges, which enhanced my teamwork and communication skills.

    In general, I'm impressed by the person described in this letter. Please feel free in class to share your ideas more often and to adopt a more vocal role in our general discussions.

    I look forward to working with you further this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      Thank you for the valuable feedback. This has helped me to understand better. I will make the necessary changes to improve the letter.

      Regards,
      Sabrina

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Task 3: The Importance of communication skills for engineers

Summary Reader Response (Draft 4)